Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Sweden, Days 15 & 16: Stockholm, Stockholm -- & Canada

We spent our last day in Sweden touring Stockholm. It was marvellous. We rode the public transit, spent lots of time in the Old City (Gamla Stan), watched the Stockholm marathon & even 'participated', in a way, as we sprinted with the runners for 10 seconds in order to cross a street in the marathon route. We went to the amusement park & saw Stockholm from 80 meters up, just before getting dropped in a bladder-emptying free fall ride. We visited a number of museums including one for silk & one for architecture. And we walked around Gamla Stan some more & compared the merits of Belgian & Swedish beers.

On Sunday I headed back to Canada. My flights were uneventful & the worst thing to happen during the trip was the confiscation of the reindeer paté I'd purchased. Very annoying: I'd purchased it in the secure area of Arlanda airport, for heaven's sake, but the security folks in Frankfurt weren't taking any chances.

Not much else to say... I'm back in Canada, desperately trying to catch up on the work that's accumulated since I left for Sweden, & I haven't even started to wade through the stack of papers I brought back. Later.

No comments: